Wednesday, February 9, 2011
Teaching a Guy to Fish
I've noticed a pervading theme throughout the McLaren book so far - the question of whether Jesus' message could have been delivered in a more straightforward way. I think what the author seems to be getting at is that no, his message would not have been (and would not be today) as effective if told a different way. What keeps coming to my mind is the old saying about teaching a man to fish, rather than giving him a fish. Jesus could have walked around, plainly stating, "I am the way to eternal happiness in life and after death, so do as I say and you will secure your place in the kingdom of God", but that would have been as effective as giving a hungry man a fish. Instead, Christ used parables, mystery, and secrecy to encourage critical thinking - to teach the man how to fish.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think that you absolutely right he wanted us to being intimately involved with the message that's why he used parables and fables
ReplyDeleteI couldn't agree more. When First starting the book I thought that McLaren would reveal some secret message that had failed to be realized by the majority of Christians. However, I really like your interpretation that the point McLaren was getting at was the importance of Jesus's teachings was the way in which he delivered his message, not straightforward, but in a kind of code or secret. If Jesus spoke plainly, his message would be regarded as boring or as simple laws that required little to no thought. If this were the case people would lose interest and only think of his teachings in a historical context, not one that evolves with the times.
ReplyDelete